Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Saturday, October 14, 2006

week 3

I updated you about a little bit of my week but now I have a lot of time so I am going to try to tell you all about it. Last Sat. night we did go out. there is this great little bar that has a nice tree lined outside patio. There were a ton of trainees there so it was a bit crazy. PCTs arent allowed out after 12 so it was a fairly early night.

Sunday, I went to the Grand Market. I just learned that it is the second biggest one in Senegal. Well it was packed and so busy. people lined the streets and my favorite part was when cars tried to come through. I was there with my host mom and a guy that stays at our house. I think he must be related I just dont know how yet. He is 30 and his name is Abu. He is awesome and helps me with my Wolof a lot. Anyway the market... Abu and my mom had to take my hand to take me through the market. School started on Monday so thats why it was so busy. The cars would just drive straight through all these people, fortunately i still have all my toes. We went through the meat aisle and let me tell you I never want to do that again. let me just say stinky!!! Riding a couple hours in a fish truck was better smelling then this (yes i road in the back of a truck filled with fish). After the market i didnt do much.

School on monday and tuesday was pretty much same old. Lots of language. I think it is getting much better. We had an evaluation today and my teacher said that i am doing well. I have my first test on tuesday so we will see how that goes. on Wed and thurs I did get my first real dose of agroforestry. We learned about nuseries and started a mini one of our own. I finally got my hands dirty and it felt great. We also had a very interesting session about Islam. It is such a huge part of life here and I know so little about it so it was very informative. Yesterday and today I had language classes again...only five more weeks. I get sworn in Nov 18 or 17 what ever day is friday. Next friday we find out our villages! I cant wait for that! I will find out who I will be living close to. I have a guess that i am going to Kedegu(sp?) it is the SE corner of senegal near guinea bissau. Well see soon

The other exciting news is that i got my hair braided today. it too a couple of hours but i think it is going to be so much easier to take care of. It is comfortable. at first i worried that it would be way too tight but is is great. It think it looks cool too...I will take photos. ok thats all for now. I might be back tomorrow for some more. I miss you all a ton! jamm ak jamm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home