Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Saturday, October 07, 2006

I realize that i have started to get used to seeing certain thing and accepting certain cultural norms here yet you have no idea. without photos (i am working on it) it is hard for you to understand exactly where i am living and what it is like. I already tried to describe my house so now I will tell you about my neighboorhood.

I live in a neighboorhood with dirt roads that arent really ever driven on. most homes are single story made from cement and line the streets. There are little boutiques and telecentres(where i use the phone) on almost every corner. There are also a lot of animals walking around. On my walk to the school bus I see the same pig every morning rolling around in the mud and the trash. He makes me laugh. There is also a donkey that hangs out around there, makes me smile too. There are a lot of goats and some chickens. It is interesting because they always seem to know where their owners live. I guess they know because thats where they get some food. There are also some stray cats and dogs around but that doesnt seem to be a huge problem.

One thing that i dont think i am used to yet is the amound of standing water in the streets and the trash. It is really smelly, some places more so then others. I dont think there is a something like a landfill here. it all ends up in piles in town and in the outskirts of town. with that said I think the people here are very resourceful and dont produce the amount of trash that we do in america.

As for the people they are very nice and very generous. If they had nothing else they would give you the shirt off their back. You share everything here: meals, clothes, shoes, etc. Everyone is family even if you arent related. There is a single guy who comes over every night and eats with us. the hospitality is incredible. being social is also important. on my way over to the cyber i got called to by a couple of guys so i went over and used my little knowledge of wolof to introduce myself. now they are my friends and everytime i see them i have to say hi and stop and greet them. That makes walking anywhere slow going but now i have allies and that is important. Ok i have to admit that one of the guys did want to marry me but i laughed and joked with him. i told him the PC doesnt allow me to get married. He understood and that was that. by the way that was my second marriage proposal. Some of the girls here really dont like it when that happens to them but i think it is funny and i can let it roll off my sholders.

OK i guess that is all for now. I would love to tell you about senegalese dress but that is too hard without photos. I am going to the tailor tomorrow to get a traditional outfit made! I am also going out tonight for the first time with some other trainees. We are eating at a restaurant and getting some coold beers... yay! talk to you soon! jemm rekk! (peace only!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home