Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Sunday, March 18, 2007

goodbyes

Since the last updat I made it back to Kaolack for a night then packed up my hut and am now back in Dakar. It was good to be in Kaolack to pack up my things there and see a few people that I wanted to before I leave. Yesterday I went back to my village with two of my friends to tell my family i was leaving and pack up my stuff. about a third of my stuff went to other volunteers, another third I have and the rest stayed in the village for my family. I am coming home with much less stuff than i came with. I made a very quiet departure from the village, only my family was aware that I was leaving and not coming back. I hid all my baggage (on my host dads suggestion) in rice sacks so that the villagers would not make a big fuss. It was nice to leave that way. I spent the night with a few of the girls in Kaffrine and left this morning for dakar.

So far the goodbyes have been bitter sweet. It felt good to leave the village but still so hard. I feel very fortunate to have the chance to leave but at the same time guilty for leaving these people who have nothing. It was really sad to say bye to my friends here. They have really held me together and have been a great sholder to lean/cry on. They have been so supportive and are behind me 100%. There are really some amazing people over here and I am excited to be able to support them from the states or wherever I may end up. I really cant say enough about how wonderful they are.

As for my plans... I have a lot of work to do in Dakar. I have to write 3 reports, have a few interviews, and do a bunch of paperwork all in the next 4 days. I also have to meet with the nurse a couple of times to make sure I am free of any weird disease/bug i my be carrying. I got this packet of information from the med team and in it is a letter that i am to bring to any future dr appointments. the letter lists all the things I have been exposed to since i have been here (it isnt a short list). after all this stuff I will be cleared to go home. Dont know my flight plans yet but should be back on Friday. It is kind of exciting and scary at the same time to think about being home. I have seen and learned a lot here which has changed my perception of the world. I am going to see things now through new eyes.

ok i am going to get cracking on some of this work. I hope you all are doing well. Maybe I will see you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home