Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Being a tourist in Dublin

There are so many tourists here from all over I almost fit in. Last night I visited the Guinness storehouse. This is where they used to make the stout but they have turned it into this massive, very expensive tourist trap. It was a walking tour through the brewing steps and through some historical stuff about Guinness. The last stop was of course at the bar where you got your 'complimentary' pint. The bar is on the 7th floor and it is a round all glass room. It overlooks the whole city which was cool but I have to say Dublin doesnt have a very impressive skyline.

Last night I hit up some night life in Temple Bar (which is the name of a pub as well as a whole district in Dublin). I heard some good music and met some people from all over the world. Talked with some people from Europe mostly but did talk to a couple of boys from south Africa and new Zealand.

This morning I hopped on the tourist bus and stopped at St. Patricks Church but didn't go in because it was €5 (i have seen too many old churches to want to spent the money). Then I went to the Irish museum of modern art. It is in an old hospital on nice grounds with green fields and a well maintained garden. The museum was pretty neat had some good pieces and had some really weird ones. There was a whole exhibit with short films that were so bizarre and not my cup of tea in terms of art.

I came back into town and had lunch then went on the Jameson whiskey tour. I was much more impressed with this guided tour. It was interesting and our tour guide threw some humor in. And yes at the end we got to taste the Irish drink :) In the gift shop there is a bottle of Jameson that was on sale for over €2000. Crazy to think that people may actually buy something like that....I would never want to drink it.

I spent the later part of the afternoon at the Irish Museum. It is pretty new I guess and displays lots of old and newer Irish artifacts. The most interesting part was an exhibit of historical clothing and jewelery. the whole place was really big and I got tired of looking at stuff so I didnt see it all. I went full circle on the tour bus and now I am tired. I made a plan for tomorrow that I am excited about...but I will tell you about that tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home