Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Waterford

Last night after I had my pint of Guiness I ran into two cousins from Vermont. It was the funniest thing...I just paid for my beer and was leaving the pub when in walk Jack and Julie. I did a double take but it was them. We had a drink and then got dinner. It was very nice. I havent seen them in years so it was so strange to bumb into them in Galway. They had just gotten in and will be in Galway again tonight. Our itineraries dont match up again until London. I may see then again when we are there.

I got into Waterford today around 230 and checked into my hotel. It will be nice to have my own room and some quiet for a couple of nights. I have been walking around the town for the past few hours. I went into the town museum and walked through very interesting displays of Irish history. I learned a lot. I also went to one of the old towers and took a tour there. I learned about the origin of piggy banks. In the 12th century they used to make these clay pots with a single slot. They would put their extra coins in but the only way to get the money out was to break the pot. Since you would eventually have to break the pot, it was made from very cheap clay called pyg clay. That eventually turned into the piggy bank. Just and interesting tid bit for the day. I am off to the crystal factory tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home