Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Saturday, February 03, 2007

first days of classes

there isnt really a whole lot to report. it has been really nice to see everyone but i havent really had time to talk with many people about their lives. I think for the most part everyone is adjusting as well as can be expected to life in the village. it has been hard for everyone. My wolof class is full of village volunteers all from the Kaolack region. We have all aquired this weird cow-cow (hillbilly) vocabulary and accent and our teacher thinks we are funny. Just like the states wolof has a variety of accents depending on where you live.

It is great to be in Thies except i have been really tired because of the change of schedule and some issues with my stomach. when i know more about that i will let you know. But Thies has everything, good food(the best burger I have had in Senegal), icecream, a swimming pool (that we are going to try to go to tomorrow). My family here eats so well, the kids are clean and going to be well educated. Thies is also growing like crazy and places that were clean 2 months ago are now large trash piles. there is just no place to get rid of trash here. oh well it is still a good city.

We have this afternoon and tomorrow off from classes. I took a nap and now i am doing stuff on the internet (even the internet here is faster--maybe i will try to load photos later). we are headed out to eat tonight and a fancyish french restaurant. then to the pool tomorrow inchallah(god willing). I think we are going to try to watch the superbowl too. there is a hotel here where all the US military stay when they are in town to train the senegalese military--we are thinking they might have the game via satellite.

ok well thats all for me. sorry if my english is terrible. I feel like i have lost all ability to speak/write in english. Bes bu nekk damay wax ci wolof rekk. (every day i speak in wolof only.) I hope all is well. Ba beneen yoon! (until the next time)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home