Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thies

Well I am back in Thies for 3 weeks. I am very happy to be here. It has been nice so far to hang out with my family and see all my friends again. My thoughts about the city have changed dramatically since last time I was here. People here are educated and wear nice clothes and generally have a lot compared to the village. I ate rice and fish for dinner which has only happened one time in the village. It was a nice change from the millet and sauce I usually have. I am already looking forward to lunch today at the center, get some meat and veggies.

This morning I had a wolof test to see what progress we have made over the past 2 months. I think it went fine. For the rest of training I have to look forward to a few more language classes and a lot of training in agro-forestry. I hope we will get some motivational talks too. The volunteers who have been here for 1.5 years are coming in so it should be good to hear all their thoughts on volunteer life and development in Senegal.

Before I came here I spent 4 days in Kaolack. It was really nice to cook and watch movies and relax before the craziness of training. While I was there we had a regional meeting and I am now the newest regional representative to the Volunteer Advisory Council. It is a group of volunteers and administration that meets once a quarter in Dakar. It gives me an excuse to go to Dakar and get out of the village. Doesnt hurt that one of my good friends Bryn is also her regions representative. I am excited about this role.

I guess thats about all for now. I will have email access every day for the next couple of weeks so send me some updates about life in the states.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home