Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

some weird senegal stuff

Last time i babbled on about development so now I want to update you more on stuff that I have observed in the past couple of weeks or so.

First my ride to Kaolack on Monday. It was the first time I made it here all by myself. I got a taxi and navigated around kaolack on my own. I will have to do it again today and the Kaokack garage is much bigger and more stressfull than Kaffrine but I think I should be fine. I am feeling more independant and that is making me happy. So i got in the taxi on my way here and waited for it to fill up with people and waited for the goats to be piled on top. yes there wer about 3 goats on the roof. fortunately my window was stuck closed so during the ride when the goat decided to go to the bathroom non landed on me. It has been known to happen to other volunteers because windows are open or the roof has a leak. I was lucky this time. It was also a funny ride too because every once in a while little goat pellets would roll down the windo right outside. you have to laugh about it.

Other stuff I have learned sort or rules maybe tricks of living in the bush... If you get stuck in the bush at night sleep under a tree, the heat is trapped under them and it is much more plesent. Dont worry I havent been stuck in the bush over night but I was walking after dark and made this observation. Second if you are out in the bush during to day stand sunny side down fron anyone because that little bit of shade fron their shadow really makes a difference in keeping you cooler. Speaking on heat...there is a thermometer at the house in Kaolack and yesterday in the afternoon(around 430) in the shade it was 89 F. I was not hot. This morning around 830 it was 70 and i was a bit chilly in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. I guess i am adjusting to the heat.

One more interesting thing. I have learned to look at the stars and tell the time. Ok not really but i sit around with my family after dinner in the same place every night and I know when orian gets so high above this tree that it is time to go to bed. usually around 830-9.

Ok now on to business. I have been asked to create a list of things that would be good to send in packages. First I have a new address for packages. the post in Kaffrine charges way to much to get boxes so any boxes should be sent to me here in Kaolack
BP 325
Kaolack, Senegal
West Africa.
Large/padded envelopes and regular letters are ok to send to BP 51, Kaffrine, Senegal.

Sorry to be so confusing but the post is just one more aspect of senegal that is corrupt.

Ok good things to send:
dried fruit- i like pineapples, apricots, peaches, cranberries
nuts- anything but peanuts!
beef jerky
drink mixes-crystal light on the go, hot chocolate etc.
candies- chocolate has made it over fine, i really like sweet tarts and starburst, mambos whatever.
mac and cheese- if you can find just the sauce packets that is great because i can get pasta here.
cake mix or cookie mix or bisket mix- there is an oven here in Kaolack
pepperoni
spices-packets for tacos or asian stuff
magazines- PC give us a subscription to newsweek so not that
any books that you think are good-used is fine
DVDs - if there are any new releases that are good and you can make a copy

I dont know it is hard for me to think of things right now because you have all been so great and i have a lot of stuff already. A side note of what not to send- cherry or grape flavored stuff i dont like it (but others will eat if sent). With all that said it is great to get anything from home just letters are wonderful because i like to hear about what is going on in your lives more than anything. You have all been so great already with the packages. Thank you so much.

Well I am off for lunch- Think I might get a burger. yum. Love you and miss you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home