Bridget's Blog: The Next Step

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Leegi, wolunteer laa

There are no v's in Wolof. I am a volunteer now! We had graduation yesterday. For the most part it was boring like any other graduation. the ambassador was there and a guy form the senegalese government. We had the ceremony in Dakar on a baseball field that overlooks the ocean. It was beautiful plus we got a nice breeze so it wasnt too hot. Bryns blog has photos. And yes if you see them I am wearing fake hair! I had extensions put in on Thurs night for the big day. My family thought it would be a good ideal. I have to say I am rather impressed with how they did. I think it looks pretty good. It is strange to have long hair though. It has never been as long as it is right now.

Not important... Graduation. It was really fun. My sister came with me to the ceremony. We started by singing both the senegalese national anthem and then the american one. Then there was blah blah blah in french. I understood most of it. Some of the Volunteers put on a skit which was really funny, they did a good job. We got our official IDs and our letter that states we are volunteers. It was a pretty proud moment for me. I am so happy to be here doing this. After we took the official government oath to serve there was a reception. We had yummy food (that did not treat me well this morning) and drinks. After that the family members went home and we all went to the American club. They had good food and a pool and as PCVs we can get in for free any time we want. We swam for a while hung out and we had to say our first good byes. some people left early this morning. I wont see some for 3 months. It is sad because we have all basically been together every day all day long.

Back in Thies... I hung out with the fam for a bit. Brought them a kilo of sugar just as a thank you. We went out to dinner at a swanky french restaurant. I had lasagne yum! We said good bye to adan and hung out with him ath the center for a bit. It was pretty late by then so Bryn and I wend home and put on our party clothes and took our siblings out to the club. We got there at 1230 but it didnt really get hopping until 1. I was running on empty but it was still a good time. You only live once right! I brought my younger sister who is 19 and she had never been to a club before so i felt like i was corrupting her. She had fun though dancing with all of us. We got home before 4 and then i crashed. It was noisy this morning so i was up at 9...not enough sleep at all. oh well. I got up, ate and packed up my stuff. I have so much stuff. the PC gives you all these books and I have gotten packages and I have some senegalese clothes. not to mention my bike and my water filter(probably holds 5 litres). Dafa bari! (its a lot) plus i am going to go shopping to buy things like pots and pans, a bucket for my baths, a matress etc. oh well.

I am getting all my stuff to the center later this afternoon. I am going to take a long shower there because I can and then sleep there too. We leave at 630 tomorrow morning. I will have time when i get there to shoot you another update. I wont get to my village until Thurs. Thanksgiving. I love you all a lot. I will get you my new address asap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home